Monday, May 23, 2011

A Month of no Spending

This week marked the end of the first month of the no-spend project. Have I bought nothing but groceries for whole month? Pretty much. But not 100%. Here's how it's gone.

Clothes, shoes, body products, hair: zero spend, saved $522
It hasn't been that hard because I've stayed away from the shops. But on the day I took a walk with my colleagues and found myself in I Love Paris staring at the most beautiful dark blue suede boots I've ever seen... I really did regret this project. I really needed those boots. They would have made me so much more beautiful and interesting. I resisted, and saved $298.

That day I also found myself in a clothing store, stroking the soft corduroy jeans I've been looking for for at least 20 year. They are now in fashion and available in fabulous colours. I need to stay away from the shops. Saved $149.

My hair is looking a bit awful, but on really dodgy days a head scarf provides a great distraction from the hair. Saved $75

Lunches
$200 saved - $40 spent = $160 saved
Saving $10 a day by packing lunches.
I'm a bit gutted about spending $40 on those two other days, but I went out for a pub lunch with work mates, the cheap place was full and we ended up at the Thistle, which does really good fish and chips and a shandy, but it cost $32. Worth it for the company and laughs, but not great on the no-spend record.

I also had a cafe lunch out with colleagues and my cousin, which was $8, and delicious. Well worth it. I realise I do need an allowance for lunches out, otherwise I'll have no friends.

Eating home made soup with a slice of good toast has been a highlight of the working day. I gave up on the themed sandwiches after the first week -- way too boring. But I'm not yet bored with soup.

Coffee
$180 saved. $11.50 spent = $168.50 saved.

I bought a bag of delicious fair trade, single estate, Guatemalan coffee which has lasted three weeks, and given me all the caffeine I wanted. I have missed the ritual of buying a coffee in my keep-cup on the way to work after yoga. I still have a pang as I walk past the cafe where the friendly staff always made me feel welcome and special. There's something to be said for being a local, feeling part of a community. I can see that trading money for goods is part of keeping that community functioning, and by not participating in trading, I miss out on more than my daily coffee ritual. And they lose a customer too... You can see where this is going... not spending money is an interesting experiment, but the best possible outcome will be to learn to spend money consciously and judiciously, for the benefit of the community I want to be part of. Anyway, more on that later.

Bus fares
$40 saved. 

I've walked to work every day, but I have been using the bus to get home. My pre-paid bus card was already loaded, so that's been a bonus. I used my last fare last night, so it's show down for using the bus.

By 5.30, I've had a pretty long day and I'm getting really antsy to get home and into my Ugg boots. And of course the loving arms of my family, but for some reason, it is the Ugg boots I'm dreaming of when I power down my computer and pack up to go home from work. So it's dark, I'm a bit tired, and I am very very resistant to walking home. Even when the weather is completely fine for walking. Walking and busing take about the same time, so it's not about efficiency. I'm perfectly capable of walking, I have good shoes, and a good coat, the air is clean... so it's not about any of that. Also, I don't even like being in a bus, particularly in winter when people are sneezing germs and there's nowhere for them to go but into other people's bodies. When I used to think about that one, I'd wave down a taxi!

There is no rational reason for not walking home. I think this maybe just a case of "I DON'T WANNA!"

So will I go and top up my Snapper card? I don't know yet. I'll think hard about other people's germs if I'm tempted.

Treats, snacks and the like.
$50 saved.
No problem there. I've had a couple of chocolate and ice cream cravings mid-afternoon, but a handful of almonds usually shoos that away. But chocolate is groceries, so I might throw some in the trolley next time I'm at the supermarket.

The diagnosis: $940.50 saved in One Month. Just by being conscious.
I'm really happy with that. Chuffed, in fact.

Now I need to find a calculator or counter to stick on this website, so we can watch these savings grow... another project for the weekend, when I'm not going out and spending money.

No comments:

Post a Comment