Monday, May 2, 2011

First Day Back

Today was my first day back at work after three weeks off, and in a way the first real test of the "no spend" project. It's a total minefield out there for spending, and I have to say I was challenged, not by an overwhelming desire to spend money, but by not following the old habits that routinely cost me money.


6.50 am, walk to yoga rather than take the bus. Save $1.50.
8.10 am, walk past Supreme coffee without stopping for a brew. Save $4.00.
8.15 am, walk past Manners Mall bus stop and walk the second leg to work. Save $1.50.
8.25 am, walk past Patisserie Bordeaux, leaving a pain au chocolat unclaimed. Save $4.20.

That's $11.20 and I'm not even awake yet!! And it's a miracle that I got to work without hailing a taxi, because I was lugging a load of groceries with me -- lunch and snack supplies.

8.40 am, make porridge for breakfast. No saving, as I rarely buy breakfast, except for the occasional pain au chocolat.
9.00 am, make a filter coffee (yes, coffee beans are groceries). Save $2.50.
10.30 am, snack on almonds and raisins. No saving. I rarely buy morning tea.
12.00 pm, eat first packed ham sandwich for lunch. Save $5.00.
12.30 pm, heat and eat homemade soup. Save $5.00.
1.00 pm, ditto on the coffee. Save $2.50.
3.00 pm, eat second packed ham sandwich and bits of pineapple for snack. Save $2.00 (normally spen on chocolate or lollies).
5.30 pm, walk home rather than catch bus. Save 1.50.

That's another $18.50 before I get home from work.

OK, I'm totally exhausted from walking everywhere, making my own snacks and coffee, spending Sunday grocery shopping and making soup, but hey, I didn't spend $29.70 today. I'm stunned by that number! And motivated to keep this going. Without getting the calculator out, I think I'm looking at $150 a week if I keep this up. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment