Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Deep End

When I made a resolution to take a yoga class in 2011 I wasn't expecting it to take over my life. I just wanted to go to a class on the way to work a couple of days a week, do something healthy for my body and mind.

Myoga was the only studio in town that offered classes before work, and it's conveniently enroute to the office. The only problem was that the morning class is a 40-day sadhana practice. That's 40 consecutive days of the same yoga practice.

I knew I would struggle with that kind of commitment, but I also quite enjoy diving in the deep end, so I signed up.

The pain of dealing with a strict morning routine (oh how I struggle with the discipline of doing the same thing over and over!!) quickly transformed into an eagerness to get up and get to class every day. The yoga itself was quite challenging for me, but the benefits of the daily practice were impossible to ignore.

I quickly lost the sense of time that has always plagued me. "How long is this going to take? What time is it? When is this going to be over? What time is it?" At some point this line of questioning disappeared, the practice happened and was over. Did I sleep through the whole thing? No. I started to get focused on the job at hand -- not clock watching, but being in this body as it moves and rests. It's a bit like conducting a science experiment... or playing with a doll.

Each 40-day practice focuses on a different part of the body. The first one was the stem/core. The second was the heart. This week we started on the ear, nose and throat. With each practice, new parts of the body are challenged and woken up. I hurt all over, all over again. My throat hurts, particularly, which isn't really surprising. But after the first week the sore muscles will become strong and flexible.

Today as I sat on my purple mat with the scratches inflicted by Snoopy the cat and looked down at my tights covered in dog hair from the last night's big cuddle with Lucy, I felt totally at home, with these people I hardly know but feel very comfortable among. The practice has taken over my life, and I'm very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment